Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kid's Artwork Display Board

I have had this idea in my head for over a year and a half now of creating an area on this small wall in my kitchen to display my kids art.  My children are constantly creating.  I have one son that draws me several pictures a day and I hate to throw them away and chance hurting his feelings, plus I'm proud of his beautiful artwork.  But, my fridge just can't hold it all.  So I had it all planned out in my head what I wanted to do, I kept telling my husband about it and I think he would get a little annoyed.  He gets an idea about something and gets it done right away.  I process it forever, I knew I wanted it to be magnetic, but did I want to paint chalkboard paint on it, did I want to use sheet metal or paint directly on the wall with magnetic paint?  I couldn't decide.  My husband kept saying, "stop talking about it and just do it!".  Well I finally did and this was the result:
 I loved how it turned out.  I just went to a local metal place and asked them to cut me a 6' by 2' piece of sheet metal (I tried to find sheet metal this size at Home Depot and Lowe's, but had no luck).  They did this for me and only charged me $15.  I then went to Lowe's and bought some moulding and painted it black.  My husband and I then screwed the metal into the wall through the studs and then we nailed the molding on top.  I then had my friend, who has her own vinyl business, cut me some vinyl that said "Masterpieces" inspired by this art display I saw here.  Sorry I don't have step by step pictures, I'm not season with posting projects like all those craft bloggers out there.  You can comment if you have questions.
The finished product now with my children's beautiful artwork displayed on it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What an awesome idea! I love it! I'm looking for ideas to display my grandkids art in my office. Any tips would be appreciated! Keep creating and keep sharing!